Make it at Home: Corn Chowder
- 4 ears of corn
- 1 tsp butter (we used Miyoko's butter)
- 8 oz bacon , chopped
- 2 tbsp butter (use 3 tbsp if bacon is lean)
- 1 garlic clove , minced
- 1 small onion , diced
- 5 tbsp flour
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups coconut milk
- 1.5 lb potatoes , cut into cubes (about 2 large)
- 2 sprigs of thyme OR 1 tsp dried thyme
- 3/4 cup coconut cream
- 3/4 cup shallots / scallions , green part finely sliced
- Salt and finely ground pepper to taste
Cut the corn off the cob. Keep naked cobs.
Place 1 tsp butter in a large pot over medium high heat. Add bacon and cook until golden. Use a slotted spoon to remove onto a paper towel lined plate. Leave fat in pot.
Lower heat to medium high. Add 2 tbsp butter, once melted, add garlic and onion. Cook for 2 - 3 minutes until onion is translucent.
Add flour and mix it in to make your roux - this will thicken your soup. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute.
Add broth, coconut milk, potatoes, and thyme. Break naked cobs into 2 or 3 and add into the liquid. Put the lid on and simmer for 25 minutes.
Remove lid, remove corn cobs. Add corn and cook for 5 minutes or until cooked to your taste.
Stir through coconut cream and 3/4 of the bacon and shallots/green onoin. Adjust salt and pepper to taste. Ladle into bowls and garnish with remaining bacon and shallots.