Open Position - Associate Alcohol/Dairy Buyer
About Luke’s Local
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate a bustling brick and mortar market on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, and a second market in Cow Hollow that opened in November of 2020! Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
About the Job
As the Associate Alcohol / Dairy Buyer you assist the Alcohol / Dairy Buyer in daily department duties. You are responsible for daily procurement of product for your department, meeting your weekly and monthly GM goals, ensuring an appealing display that’s well stocked and clean, checking codes, proper rotation of products, and removing out-of-date products. You also contribute to product curation, sourcing guideline audits, and maintaining healthy vendor relationships.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Provide exceptional service to every customer
- Daily dairy and alcohol procurement and stocking
- Including proper cheese production and maintenance
- Correct rotation of cheese, beer and other perishable products
- Weekly category resets based on existing inventory stock levels according to subcategory and price point
- Meeting weekly sales and margin goals for your department
- Interact with customers in order to drive sales and upsell products
- Check-in and put away product deliveries and transfers
- Develop and maintain a high level of product knowledge in order to make informed procurement decisions
- Maintain a clean, well-organized, welcoming, and safe environment
- Participate in all daily sales activities, including point-of-sale transactions, and merchandising
- Ensures compliance with established regulations including Weights and Measures, health and sanitation, and safe work practices
- Assists with monthly and weekly inventory checks
- Ensure accuracy of signs and pricing
- Must be able to read and understand both continental and international wine labels
- Intermediate to advanced alcohol product knowledge
- Exemplary customer service and hospitality skills
- Highly organized and intense attention to detail
- Positive attitude – no task is too small or too large
- Excellent communicator with a passion for people and wine and cheese
- Friendly, team-player
- Sales floor, backstock areas, walk in coolers, cheese prep areas, ladder work
- Stooping, bending, lifting, standing for long periods of time, stretching, twisting, reaching, repetitive stocking motions.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lb cases of wine repeatedly as well as up to 80lb wheels of cheese
- Stocking of shelves and merchandising displays from a ladder
- Handling of cold beverages in a cold environment for extended periods of time.
Required education and experience
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 1-3 years of experience in a retail, restaurant, or other customer-facing environment
- At least 1 year of experience with retail cheese cutting
Preferred education and experience
- Professional experience working with and procuring wine, spirits, cheese, dairy, and/or craft beer preferred
- Minimum obtained entry level, working towards obtaining, or desire to obtain, certification(s) in one or more of the following professional organizations or equivalent organizations; CSW, WSET, SWE, Cicerone, ACS, CCP
Additional eligibility requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.
- Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100%
- Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution
- Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- Paid vacation - up to 2 weeks per year
- Paid volunteer days
- Pre-tax 401k savings account
- Storewide employee discount of 20%
- Daily staff meal
- Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account
- Regular review & raise cycles
- Professional development and mentorship program