Open Position - Associate Butcher
About Luke’s Local
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate three vibrant brick and mortar markets - one on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, a second in Cow Hollow on Union St. and our third & newest location on Green St. in North Beach. Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
About the Job
As the Associate Butcher, help the Line Manager in daily department duties. Ensures a fresh and appealing display by keeping cases and shelves clean and well stocked by cutting, rotating and removing out-of-date products.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Collaborate with the Butcher Buyer to assist in the regular weekly buying
- Assist with PO creation inventory, receiving, distribution, and overall management of the Butcher Department
- Assists Butcher Buyer in organizing and displaying all products and seasonal items.
- Assist Butcher Buyer in managing the departments team
- Monitors and prevents spoilage, regularly communicates waste to buyer/team and log in Revel
- Assists with monthly and daily inventory checks/adjustments
- Provides excellent customer service, addresses needs of customers in a timely and effective manner
- Maximizes sales potential through effective and proper procedures for prepping, storing, rotating, stocking, and merchandising products
- Follows and complies, or ensures compliance, with established procedures, including Weights and Measures, health and sanitation, and safe work practices
- Maintains, or ensures maintenance of, a clean and sanitary working and shopping environment; maintains equipment in accordance with cleanliness and safety standards
- Performs opening, mid, and closing duties as assigned
- Assisting deli and butcher team on the service line as needed
- Strong communicator
- Friendly, team-player
- Good work ethic
- Office and sales floor of retail grocery stores
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs
- Must be able to spend 6-8 hours per day on your feet
- Stooping, bending, lifting, standing for long periods of time, stretching, twisting, reaching, repetitive stocking motions, repetitive food prep motions.
- Must be able to lift and carry 50 lb cases of meat and seafood repeatedly
- Handling of refrigerated product in a cold environment for extended periods of time.
Required education and experience
- At least 1 year of meat cutting/butcher experience
Preferred education and experience
- Experience with retail, preferably grocery
- Experience with food preparation, service, and safety
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.
- Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100%
- Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution
- Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- Paid vacation - up to 2 weeks per year
- Paid volunteer days
- Pre-tax 401k savings account
- Storewide employee discount of 20%
- Daily staff meal
- Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account
- Regular review & raise cycles
- Professional development and mentorship program
Central Butcher Buyer