Open Position - Butcher Clerk
About Luke’s Local
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate two vibrant brick and mortar markets - one on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, and a second in Cow Hollow on Union St. We are thrilled to be opening our third store in North Beach in early March, 2023! Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
About the Job
As a member of the Deli/Butcher team of Luke’s Local you are responsible for providing excellent customer service, preparing and serving coffee and espresso drinks, breakfast items, and sandwiches to our customers. We encourage a team mentality at Luke’s and as such all deli staff often assist each other based on the demands of the day. Having a positive attitude, team mentality, and an eagerness to learn is a must.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Preparing, packaging, weighing, and pricing meat department products for sale,
- Setting and maintaining the deli/butcher case
- Prepping and assembling sandwiches
- Providing excellent and knowledgeable customer experience
- Shutting down the deli/butcher station
- Knowledge and implementation of safe food handling procedures
- Assist in unloading and stocking merchandise for the Deli/Butcher team
- Strong communicator
- Creative thinker
- Excellent customer service
- Attention to detail
- Ability to safely prepare and serve food of high quality
- Sales floor & service line of retail grocery stores
Must be able to spend 6-8 hours per day on your feet
Stooping, bending, lifting, standing for long periods of time, stretching, twisting, reaching, repetitive stocking motions, repetitive food prep motions.
Must be able to lift and carry 50 lb cases of meat or other food products repeatedly
Handling of refrigerated product in a cold environment for extended periods of time.
Preferred education and experience
- Experience with retail, preferably grocery
- Experience with food preparation, service, and safety
- Experience with customer service
Additional eligibility requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.
$19-22/hour + tips
- Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100%
- Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution
- Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- Paid vacation - up to 2 weeks per year
- Paid volunteer days
- Pre-tax 401k savings account
- Storewide employee discount of 20%
- Daily staff meal
- Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account
- Regular review & raise cycles
- Professional development and mentorship program