Open Position - Cashier
About Luke’s Local
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate two vibrant brick and mortar markets - one on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, and a second in Cow Hollow on Union St. We are thrilled to be opening our third store in North Beach in early March, 2023! Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
About the Job
As a cashier you are the first and last person customers interact with in the store, so a positive attitude is a must. You will be working with the team to open or close the store in an orderly, clean and efficient manner. Additionally, you will be expected to memorize produce and products and be able to communicate your knowledge to the guest or co-workers and stock products when needed. Having a positive attitude, team mentality, and an eagerness to learn is a must. Must be able to work mornings and weekends.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Act as the face of the company, delivering excellent hospitality and service to all customers
- Ensure the customer’s checkout experience is friendly and efficient
- Maintain cleanliness and safety of store according to Company protocols
- Maintaining front bakery/produce table
- Facing and stocking all areas of grocery (including dairy)
- Assisting in facing and stocking beer, wine, and spirits when needed
- Setting up and taking down perishable produce at the start and finish of each day
- Strong communicator
- Creative thinker
- Excellent customer service
- Attention to detail
- Sales floor of retail grocery stores
- Must be able to spend 6-8 hours per day on your feet
- Stooping, bending, lifting, standing for long periods of time, stretching, twisting, reaching.
- Stocking of shelves and merchandising displays
- Handling of refrigerated beverages in a cold environment for short periods of time.
Preferred education and experience
- Experience with retail, preferably grocery
- Experience with food preparation, service, and safety
- Experience with customer service
Additional eligibility requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.
- Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100%
- Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution
- Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- Paid vacation - up to 2 weeks per year
- Paid volunteer days
- Pre-tax 401k savings account
- Storewide employee discount of 20%
- Daily staff meal
- Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account
- Regular review & raise cycles
- Professional development and mentorship program