Open Position - Cashier Shift Lead
About Luke’s Local
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate three vibrant brick and mortar markets - one on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, a second in Cow Hollow on Union St. and our third & newest location on Green St. in North Beach. Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
About the Job
As a Shift Lead, you are responsible for being the leadership presence on the floor throughout your shift. You are expected to be the PIC (Person In Charge) and will often be responsible for opening and closing the store. In addition to your department responsibilities, you oversee the following:
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Supervising employees and assisting with tasks as necessary
- Distributing work evenly among all staff, assigning duties to specific employees based on role and skills
- Assist Store Manager and Assistant Manager in coordinating breaks as needed
- Ensure excellent customer service and hospitality standards are upheld - from deli service and wait times, to in-store shopping, to the experience at checkout
- Training new and current staff in all departments
- Manage accurate tracking and reporting of waste
- Handling customer issues and managing conflicts
- Maintain Luke’s Local retail standards in terms of cleanliness, facing, stocking, tagging, and merchandising
- Ensure food safety standards are being met at all times
- Balancing cash drawers and preparing cash deposits
- Maintaining a positive, equitable work environment for all staff
- High standard of cleanliness
- Excellent customer service
- Good communication skills
- Friendly, team-player
- Good work ethic
- Creative thinker
- Eagerness to learn
- Office & sales floor of retail grocery stores
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs
- Must be able to spend 6-8 hours per day on your feet
- Stooping, bending, lifting, standing for long periods of time, stretching, twisting, reaching, repetitive stocking motions, repetitive food prep motions.
- Stocking of shelves and merchandising displays
- Handling of refrigerated product in a cold environment for short periods of time.
Preferred education and experience
- Experience with retail, preferably grocery
- Experience with food preparation, service, and safety
Additional Eligibility Requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.
- Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100%
- Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution
- Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- Paid vacation - up to 2 weeks per year
- Paid volunteer days
- Pre-tax 401k savings account
- Storewide employee discount of 20%
- Daily staff meal
- Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account
- Regular review & raise cycles
- Professional development and mentorship program