Open Position - Florist
About Luke’s Local
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate a bustling brick and mortar market on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, and a second market in Cow Hollow that opened in November of 2020! Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
About the Job
The Florist is a fun and interactive position at Luke’s Local. You’ll help beautify the store, while getting to know the customers and sharing your knowledge with them. You’ll build relationships with local farms and receive the freshest seasonally available flowers.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Manage the margin and budget of the Floral Department according to Company goals
- Make bouquets, bunches, and arrangements to fill a set par every shift.
- Order all flowers for all store locations from farms and Flower Market
- As needed, pick up flowers, greenery and vases from the Flower Market
- Maximize sales potential through effective and proper procedures for prepping, storing, rotating, stocking, and merchandising products
- Maintain, or ensure maintenance of, a clean and sanitary working and shopping environment; maintain equipment in accordance with cleanliness and safety standards
- Monitor and prevent spoilage; regularly communicate waste to buyer/team and log in Revel.
- Oversee and execute PO creation inventory, receiving, distribution, and overall management of the Floral Department
- Ensure accuracy of signs, pricing, and product data for all Floral products, including Build Your Own Bouquet (BYOB) program’s tickets and products.
- Be available for big Flower Holidays and increased production for those days.
- Have a knowledge of flower names and seasonality.
- Strong communicator
- Friendly, team-player
- Good work ethic
- Time management skills
- Office and sales floor of retail grocery stores
- Must be able to lift 25 lbs
- Must be able to spend 4-8 hours per day on your feet
- Stooping, bending, lifting, standing for long periods of time, stretching, twisting, reaching, repetitive floral prep motions.
Required education and experience
- Experience with floral design
Preferred education and experience
- Experience with retail, preferably grocery
- Experience with floral sourcing
Additional eligibility requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
- Car preferred for as-needed pick-ups (mileage is compensated according to the current IRS-approved rate per mile), though not required
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.
- Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100%
- Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution
- Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- Paid vacation - up to 2 weeks per year
- Paid volunteer days
- Pre-tax 401k savings account
- Storewide employee discount of 20%
- Daily staff meal
- Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account
- Regular review & raise cycles
- Professional development and mentorship program