Open Position - Grocery Buyer
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate a bustling brick and mortar market on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, and have a second market opening in Cow Hollow in November of 2020! Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
You are enthusiastic about local food, are a strong communicator, are excellent with customers, and have an attention to detail. You have food and retail experience (not a must) and can thoughtfully guide our customers through the many delicious options in our store. You are passionate about our mission and want to be a part of growing this business.
About the Job
As the Grocery Buyer, you are responsible for buying for multiple locations and leading a team of Assistant Buyers to ensure the accuracy of product data, healthy and lasting relationships with our partners, and an authentic product selection at each of our store locations. Collaborate with you the Director of Purchasing/Merchandising and your team to ensure a thoughtful cohesion between our brand and stores.
- Control the accuracy of all of your departments inventory to meet and key company metrics
- Perform regular department audits and oversee product compliance (taxes, CRV, price tag accuracy, and weights & measures regulations)
- Adhere to guidelines for receiving, inventory management, and ordering to ensure daily accuracy of data
- Oversee the collection and accuracy of your departments’ EOM inventory for all locations
- Manage accurate waste reporting within your department following company standards
- Manage multiple establishments inventory and physical workflows
- Foster a healthy and supportive relationship with core vendors
- Continuously strive for the best pricing to improve gross margin and remain competitive
- Collaborate with your reps to bring in new products and identify market trends
- Set up monthly promotions to highlight seasonal products and to help remain competitive with other everyday grocery stores.
- Ensure all locations’ merchandised displays are designed and set up according to our aesthetic and company brand guidelines
- Maximizes sales potential through effective and proper procedures for prepping, storing, rotating, stocking, and merchandising products
- Ensure products are routinely FIFOd and that employees are adhering to local food handling regulations as it relates to temperature control, dating, and storage per you departments
- Collaborate with the Director of Purchasing/Merchandising to constantly iterate and improve systems to allow for best in class receiving workflows
- Oversee department checklists and protocols on a daily basis
- Adhire to buying team systems to minimize the percentage of out-of-stocks
- Always seek to improve the customer’s experience on the floor (signage, rearranging product sets, featured products, items of the month, etc)
- Buying for multiple locations based on inventory, customer requests, and location specific product sets and aesthetics
- Source authentic, thoughtful, sustainable and ethically produced/sourced products that are within our brand
- Monthly checks of movement reports to identify slow vs fast movers
- Proactively buying holiday products before the holiday seasons
- Constantly focus on increasing the authenticity of the product and vendor selection
- Responsible for category management for multiple classes and sub-classes within your departments
ACCOUNTING / REPORTING
- Daily review of your departments pace
- Weekly review of actual vs. goal metrics (revenue, gross margin, inventory accuracy, waste)
- Ensuring every vendor delivery has an invoice and PO to match
- Run weekly meetings with your team to go over numbers, any concerns, building a cohesive team and a great company culture
- Develop training guides for assistant buyers and stocking teams
- High standard of cleanliness
- Excellent customer service
- Good communication skills
- Friendly, team-player
- Good work ethic
Benefits & Pay
Full time. We believe in creating a positive work culture that is always giving back to our employees. That’s why our benefits package is more robust than most. One week paid vacation, 20% store discount, health, vision, and dental, commuter benefits and staff meal. Competitive pay based on experience.