Open Position - Prep Cook/Dishwasher
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that provides food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping an inspiring experience for Bay Area communities. We operate a bustling brick and mortar market on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley, and a second market in Cow Hollow that opened in November of 2020! Luke’s offers a same-day grocery delivery and pick up service from both locations. As a company, we are constantly striving to create an environment that fosters equity, inclusion, and nourishment for our customers and team members alike. Our hope is to make it possible for anyone to bring the spirit of discovery, creativity, and joy into their kitchens. We hope you’ll join us.
About The Job
The Commissary kitchen produces thousands of meals, salads, and sides every week. The cook/dishwasher is responsible for cleaning dishes, keeping the kitchen clean, taking out the trash. Helping out in the kitchen on a regular basis with necessary food preparation tasks, as well as assembling and packaging meals, storing perishables, cleaning and processing fruit and vegetables, and some light roasting/grilling is required. Ability to bounce back and forth between various tasks/projects is a must. Experience in high volume catering or restaurant kitchens is necessary. Hours are Monday-Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. Pay starts at $18/hour. Luke’s Local provides health benefits (including vision and dental), paid time off, and sick pay.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
Take control of prep required for the day:
- Own and manage the daily task of prep, and its completion.
- Label and date any and all products prepared.
- Completing all tasks, in order, on the prep list from the Head Chef or other kitchen manager
- Labeling and stocking all ingredients on easily accessible shelves
- Washing, chopping and sorting ingredients like fruits, and vegetables
- Cleaning dishes, washing utensils and cookware, taking out the trash and sanitizing kitchen surfaces.
- Measuring quantities of products produced
- Adherence to all kitchen food safety and sanitation standards
- Basic knife skills with desire to learn and improve
- Time management skills
- Reliable and shows up on time to all shifts.
- Extremely clean and organized
- Experience washing dishes and cleaning in high volume catering or restaurant kitchens. (1+ years)
- Fast worker
- Positive, and professional “get the job done” mindset.
- Ability to work with the team
- Industrial kitchen and warehouse
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Unless indicated otherwise, accommodations can be made to those who are unable to perform these tasks
Preferred Education & Experience
- Experience with food preparation, service, and safety
Additional eligibility requirements
- Must be 18 years or older
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Luke’s Local requires all new hires to be vaccinated against COVID-19 as a condition of employment. All new hires will be required to be vaccinated [1st dose] prior to their first day of scheduled work OR must request an accommodation under medical or religious exemptions.
- Medical insurance, with employer contribution of up to 100%
- Dental insurance, with 70% employer contribution
- Vision insurance, with 50% employer contribution
- Paid sick leave
- Paid vacation - up to 2 weeks per year
- Paid volunteer days
- Pre-tax 401k savings account
- Storewide employee discount of 20%
- Daily staff meal
- Pre-tax commuter benefits savings account
- Regular review & raise cycles
- Professional development and mentorship program