Open Position - Sous Chef
Luke's Local is an independently-owned grocery business that delivers food from local family farms, butchers, ranchers, and food makers. Luke's sincerely sources great food made with integrity, and is passionate about making grocery shopping a convenient and enjoyable experience for Bay Area communities. We offer in person grocery shopping at our neighborhood market on Cole and Parnassus in the heart of Cole Valley - SF and same day delivery anywhere in SF. We believe customers want the flexibility of having the human connection that comes with a person grocery shopping as well as the convenience of delivery to fit their busy lifestyle.
You are enthusiastic about local food, are a strong communicator, are excellent with customers, and have an attention to detail. You have 3-4 years of kitchen experience and experience with cooking high volumes of food. You are passionate about our mission and want to be a part of growing this business.
About the Job
The Commissary Sous Chef at Luke’s Local will be working under Chef Paula McDade. They will be expected to plan and produce Chef’s Meals for our retail location and app delivery service. This person will be in charge of our catering department, executing and overseeing orders. This business has a lot of moving parts so we are looking for a person with an eagerness to learn how it all works and how to make it work better. Perfect for someone who has worked in restaurants and is looking for a more stable schedule and weekends off.
- Managing the kitchen team along with the Head Chef and Sous Chef
- Overseeing catering orders
- Weekly menu development and costing
- Ensuring smooth deliveries to our retail location
- Participate in weekly meetings
- Managing low food and labor cost
- Extremely clean and organized
- Inventory management
Qualities we’re looking for:
- Great attitude - working in a kitchen is hard, don’t make it harder with a negative attitude
- Creative - being creative not only with menu planning within certain parameters but also can find creative solutions to problems
- Communication is king - be responsive and keep in close communication with other chefs and other people in the company through emails and Slack
- Team player - never leaves their team in a bad spot and willing to jump in and support co-workers
- Proactive planner- can make an organized prep list and is always looking 3 steps ahead
- Leadership qualities - have a macro view of the kitchen, ability to identify issues and find solutions
- Drive - An eagerness to learn more about the business and willingness to do what it takes
Benefits & Pay
Full time. We believe in creating a positive work culture that is always giving back to our employees. That’s why our benefits package is more robust than most. Two weeks paid vacation, 20% store discount, health, vision, and dental, commuter benefits and staff meal. Competitive pay based on experience.